The difference between a ratio and a rate is that a rate " compares 2 quantities measured in different units" and a ratio " compares 2 quantities measured in the same units" .
4. Determine the unit rate in each situation.
a) An orca swims 110 km in 2 h.
b) A Canada goose flies 800 km in 12.5 h.
c) Cathy plants 45 daffodils in 30 min.
-1.5 daffodils/ minute
10. Trevor rode his mountain bike 84 km in
3 h. Jillian rode 70 km in 2.5 h. Who is
the faster cyclist? How do you know?
- They are both equal. How do i know that ? I'am sure of it because i used a ratio table. With a ratio table i found how many kilometers each rode for an hour. They both came up to 2.5. At that time i had to know and follow that whatever i do to one side i do to the other.
- My Recipe would look different because you'd have to make additions to the amounts that are put in the recipe to an equivalent amount from the first one but serving 10 people. So in order to do that i used a ratio table to find out how much of each ingredient was serving to one person, which would be dividing by 4. Once solved i then multiply the answer i come up with to 10 for then people.
- For one person you basically do the same thing, the only difference is that once you come up with the answer from dividing from 4 , you stay it because that would be your answer.