Sunday, November 15, 2009

How I stopped an Alien Invasion by using Proportion

An alien has landed from another planet. After a few minutes the spaceship opens and a green little man walks out. I ask it what it wants it said he wanted to know about proportion. I told him that proportion is a relationship that says that two ratios or two rates are equivalent. I also told him that proportion can be written as a fraction and that there are two different ways to find proportion. One way is using proportion and the other way is using unit rate. Then I gave the alien a few days to get the what proportion means then i gave him a 3 problem questions.

page: 68
21. David can saw a log into three pieces in7 min. If he continues sawing at a constantrate, how long will it take him to saw asimilar log into six pieces?



wow he did it right he took the information from the question then put them in a ratio table. he put the 3 under the P and the 7 under the MIN then times them by 2 and got 6 from 3 and 14 from 7.





24. a) Describe a pattern you could use to findthe next fraction in the following set offractions.
The pattern is that the numerator goes up by 1 and the denominator goes up by 2's
1/2
2/4
3/6
4/8

The pattern is that the numerator goes up by 5's and the denominator goes up by 6.

5/6
10/12
15/18
20/24
The first problem is to determine the missing value.

Wow! It looks like he got them all right. Then I guess he knows how to find the missing value by dividing and times the numbers to get the answers.
A few days later, another spaceship came down on Earth. It was his family. I guess I have to give her back where he belongs. I hope that he wont forget what I taught him about proportion and I hope that he will remember me and come visit me soon. I waved good bye to him and his family and wish them a good luck on their rip back.
The end.

0 comments:

Statcounter

Lorem Ipsum

About This Blog

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP