Sunday, November 15, 2009

How I Stopped an Alien Invasion Using Proportion

Before I never believed in aliens. I always thought it was a huge lie. Until I saw this bright light coming from outside my window one day. As i looked out I saw a huge UFO had just landed onto my street. Everyone was scared and freaked out. But I was very amazed and interested. So as I got closer everyone screamed at me to get away from that thing, but I wanted to see the aliens. Then the big door came down, and the aliens came out. They started speaking some kind of language to eachother that I couldn't understand. Then one of them came up to me and told me they were taking over planet earth. I asked what could I do to make them change their mind. They explained to me that their homework from school is due tomorrow, and they didn't know what proportion was. And I offered to teach it to them. I told them that proportion is a relationship that says two ratios, or two rates are equivalent. I also explained to them that proportions can be also solved as fractions or on a ratio table. Proportions could also be expressed as a unit rate. So after I explained to them, to make sure they understood , I gave them 3 questions.



4. Determine the unit rate

a) Three dinner rolls cost 99 cents

- 33cents/roll

















b) Seven identical objects have the mass of 14kg.

- 2kg/object

















11. A small gear turns 18 times at the same time that large gear turns 4 times. How many times will the large gear turn if the small gears turns 54 times? Draw a diagram to set up a proportion and solve the problem.




















19. Determine the missing values for each

equivalent fractions.



a)
















b)

















sorry I did it kind of late.

1 comments:

Shelby Mackey November 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

I liked your story! It was different because you were teaching the aliens instead of the other way around. Nice originality and your work is thought out well. I think it would have been good if you had added more to the story afterwards.
Well done!
Shelby Mackey

Statcounter

Lorem Ipsum

About This Blog

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP