Saturday, November 14, 2009

abbster the alien trying to learn proportion




The class was working on proportion until a UFO crashed down near the school. I went closer to see if what I'm seeing is true. I rubbed my eyes and pinched myself as hard as I can and it's still there. I can't believe it. It's true. A UFO on Earth. :o After a few minutes a little creature came out of the spaceship. It was a girl. Well it looks like it. I asked her what her name was and all she said was " abb- taah " so I decided to call her abbster. I took care of abbster and teach her most of the stuff she needed to know on Earth.. like proportion. I told her that proportion is a relationship that says that two ratios or two rates are equivalent. I also told her that proportion can be written as a fraction and that there are two different ways to find proportion. One way is using proportion and the other way is using unit rate. I gave her a week to understand proportion even more like what we did in class. Then I gave her a three problem questions.



The first problem is to determine the missing value.



Wow! It looks like she got them all right. Then I guess she knows how to find the missing value.





The second problem or question is "Last night 30 cm of snow fell in 6 h. If it continues snowing at the same rate, how long will it take for 45 cm of snow to fall? Determine the answer in two different ways.







She used two different ways to find the same answer. So that means you can use any ways you want to find the proportion because both of them just lead us in the same answer.




The last problem/ question is " a gardener takes a half hour to mow and weed a lawn that measures 20m by 15m. He charges $25 per hour. How much would the gardener recieve for a lawn that measures 40m by 30m?



She divided $25 by 2 thats why she gets $12.50. She divided it by half because the $25 is for a whole hour, and the question is asking for half an hour.


A few days later, another spaceship went down on Earth. It was abbster's family. I guess I have to give her back where she belongs. I hope that she wont forget what I taught her and I hope that she will remember me and come visit me soon. I waved good bye to her and her family and wish them a good luck. (:
The end. (:

1 comments:

Abby 8-73 November 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

I think I did mine wrong.. ):

Statcounter

Lorem Ipsum

About This Blog

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP